Sunday, April 16, 2023

U.S. Open Record for Regan Smith on Final Night of TYR Pro Swim Series Westmont


 

by Jessica Delos Reyes//USA Swimming

On the final day of competition at the TYR Pro Swim Series Westmont, Regan Smith clocked a new U.S. Open record in the 200m backstroke (2:04.76). Over the four-day meet, Smith won every final in which she competed – 200m butterfly, 100m backstroke, 100m butterfly.

“I’m really, really happy,” Smith said after her 200m backstroke win. “That’s the first time I’ve ever gone 2:04 so I’m really psyched. I’m feeling confident right now and excited to see how the rest of the season plays out.”

Local talent Leah Hayes completed a sweep of the individual medley events – winning the 200m IM on Saturday (2:10.03) and the 400m IM on Thursday (4:39.58).

“I wanted a little bit better time but I’m happy with it and how I swam it,” Hayes said of Saturday’s race. “I did what I wanted to do in terms of technique and underwaters. There’s always room for improvement. I wanted to take my 100 out a little faster just to see how I could take that and handle it. I’m usually a back-half swimmer – very obviously – but I thought it was a good race.”

Lydia Jacoby (30.29) and Nic Fink (27.13) took wins in the 50m breaststroke on Saturday. The duo also won the 100m breaststroke races on Thursday.

“I feel like my stroke is really coming back to me heading into this long-course season, so I’m really excited about the way we’re starting off,” Jacoby said.

Abbey Weitzeil (53.36) and Hunter Armstrong (48.70) finished the night, and the meet, with wins in the 100m freestyle races. Weitzeil won the 50m freestyle on Friday and picked up third-place finishes in the 50m butterfly on Friday and the 50m backstroke on Thursday.

“I’m really excited with that,” Weitzeil said of her 100m freestyle. “I think it’s about the same time I did in Fort Lauderdale, on the last day of the meet versus the first. How I’m feeling right now and the training I’m doing, I’m really happy with how I executed the race. A lot more work to do but I’m excited and happy with that.”

Armstrong won the 100m backstroke on Friday and the 50m backstroke on Thursday, totaling three titles during the meet.

“Bjorn (Seeliger) and Jack (Alexy) go out like a bullet every time so I knew if I could get close to them, I’d be able to bring it home,” Armstrong said. “That was a really strong field, so I was glad I was able to throw down a good race.”

The final TYR Pro Swim Series of 2023 will take place Mission Viejo, California May 17-20.

No comments: