Monday, April 17, 2023

Wang Zongyuan and Chen Yiwen bring China two more golds in Xi’an


 

Written by: Zhou Xin, World Aquatics Correspondent

Chen Yiwen recorded her personal best score with 2,556 local fans watching the competition from the stands and many multiples more from the live stream and broadcast away from the competition pool.   


 

Women's 3m Springboard

Chen, the double winner at last year's world championships in Budapest, earned a day-high 83 points in her Forward 3 1/2 Somersaults Pike and celebrated a new personal best of 392.79 for the title.

Chang Yani finished second in 336.55 and Sayaka Mikami of Japan took the bronze medal in 302.30, out-pointing Grace Reid of Great Britain by 2.1 points.

"I was happy with my result since it was my first time scoring 390 plus. It was also the best performance in recent two years. I could join the 400 Club if I could do better in my second dive Backward 2 1/2 Somersaults. I felt more focused on a Preliminary-to-Final individual competition format in the current World Cup. The victory brought me more confidence thanks to the local fans,” Chen said.

Chang Yani, 21, who has paired with synchro partner Chen since 2021, said: "It was a terrible international appearance. I felt rusty and could not find my own pace. I was nervous when I stood on the springboard but at the same time, I was too eager for the victory. I need to adjust myself and come back again.

Sayaka Mikami was the only women diver among the finalists who tried on a Forward 2 1/2 Somersaults 2 Twists, one of the highest difficult dives for women with a 3.4 Degree of Difficulty and received 66.30 points for the dive.

"I failed to do this dive as well as I did during daily training because I was backward from the top of the springboard. I have been trained in this high DD dive for about five years since it can be my chance of winning medals at international competitions," said the 22 years old Japanese.


 

Men's 3m Springboard

Wang Zongyuan, the first-ever triple gold medalist in one World Aquatics Championships in 2022, snatched a day-high 104.50 points for his last dive Forward 4 1/4 Somersaults, sealed the victory in 553.15.

Wang was followed by Jack Laugher of Britain took the silver in 442.95 and Moritz Wesemann of Germany completed the podium with bronze in 438.70.

The 21-year-old Wang booked four 90-plus points out of six dives from the final.

"After yesterday's synchro event, I felt more used to the full-house cheering audience and relaxed," Wang said. "I began to enjoy the competition with other top divers. No pressure, but full of energy, I gave it all out in my last dive. I was quite satisfied with my performance at the first big international competition."

Talking about the new World Cup competition format, Wang added: "I felt easier and more relaxed in the individual event because all the preliminary and final take within one day."   

Jack Laugher was OK with the silver medal but unsatisfied with his performance. “This morning was not so good that I finished fourth. Some mistakes and first time competing, maybe due to some nerves. In the final, I showed some really, really good take-offs from the board apart from my last dive, which was very bad.” Laugher got 52.65 for his Forward 4 1/2 Somersaults Tuck.

“I think a lot of athletes have struggled today because of the short turnaround between the women's and men's finals. But everyone is the same. I'm proud of myself. It's a medal. I can still move forward from this,” Jack added.

Competing in his second World Cup, Wesemann, 20, was pretty happy about the outcomes. “It was a great result and it's still in April, still sometime back from the world championships. I did not have a rough start; not the perfect dive in the first 3 rounds, but had three beautiful dives at the end. In the end, I'm very happy about the outcome.”

No comments: