Sunday, April 23, 2023

Brigman and Collins Win 5K Junior National Championships USA


 

by Kyle Sagendorph//USA Swimming

The second day of the 2023 Open Water National Championships featured top finishes in the Junior 5K from North Carolina Aquatic Club’s Daisy Collins and Bolles School Sharks’ Dillon Brigman. The three-day event concludes tomorrow at Nathan Benderson Park in Sarasota, Florida.

The men took to the course first on a clear and sunny morning in Sarasota. Brigman went out with the lead pack and never looked back, holding the lead at the start of both the second and third (of three) laps. Brigman finished in 59:01, making him the only swimmer to finish in under an hour. 

“I just wanted to stay with everyone for the first lap and I was getting kind of trampled, so I just decided to go off alone and then finish it,” Brigman said. “I knew I could get that (title). I’m just glad I did.”

The women’s race saw Laker Swim’s Rylee Erisman get out to an early start before Collins was able to close in and grab the lead. Collins ended up carrying the lead to the finish line, stopping the clock in 1:03:14 for the title.

“I had no idea what I was doing going into it,” Collins said. “It was definitely tough going (south) because of the sun and the boats that were pushing towards the shore. It was hard to not give up when you get tired like that.”

Brigman and Collins join a decorated list of past Open Water National Junior Champions that includes Katie Grimes, Claire Weinstein, Erica Sullivan and Ivan Puskovitch.

Competition concludes tomorrow with the 5K and Junior 7.5K. Click here to view today’s results, and head to the event page for more information on this year’s Open Water National Championships.

No comments: