Monday, April 24, 2023

Grimes, Gravley Shine Again at Open Water National Championships USA


 

by Kyle Sagendorph//USA Swimming

The 2023 Open Water National Championships concluded Sunday morning in Sarasota, Florida, with the 5K and Junior 7.5K events. The competition took place at Nathan Benderson Park. 

The men’s 5K was the first group to brace the water. Spain’s Carlos Garach commanded the start of the race before a strong surge from Brennan Gravley in the final straightaway catapulted the American to the lead.

“(Garach) led pretty much the whole 10K and the majority of the race today,” Gravley said. “I used those last two buoys at the end of the lap, before the last long stretch, to get a jump on him. I had a couple body-length leads and he made them up. He’s a great pool swimmer but when he caught back up to me, we kind of just stuck together until the end. I tried to conserve as much as I could – I'd say with about 300 meters left, he tried to make another jump and I just ended up riding his hip for another 150 or so. As soon as he kind of realized that it wasn’t as effective, I kind of just switched back and went to my legs as early as I could.”

Gravley’s approach earned him the Open Water National Championships 5K title for the second-consecutive year.

The women’s event went to Katie Grimes, who completed the sweep of the senior events (5K and 10K) at this year’s meet.

“It was just about getting experience,” Grimes said of her takeaways from this week. “Pretty much every open water race, that (experience) is what I try and get from it and take to the next race. I feel like I now have a lot of tricks under my belt that I can use next time.”

The win gives Grimes her fifth career title, across both junior and senior events, at Open Water National Championships.

The Junior 7.5K rounded out competition for the day, seeing Grimes’ Sandpipers of Nevada teammate Claire Weinstein claim the women’s title while Ryan Erisman (Laker Swim) was victorious in the men’s field.

“I know most of the guys here – I’ve been to a lot of camps with them, so I’ve really come to know a lot of them,” Erisman said. “It was really nice to race them today.”

To view full results of the 5K, click here https://www.usaswimming.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/2023-open-waternnationals-5k-complete-results.pdf

Full results of the Junior 7.5K can be found here https://www.usaswimming.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/2023-open-water-junior-nationals-7-5k-complete-resultsf1d066fa6cbc6a0a9b57ff00009030c2.pdf

For more on the 2023 Open Water National Championships, visit the event page. https://www.usaswimming.org/event/2023/04/21/default-calendar/open-water-championships

No comments: