Saturday, July 8, 2023

European Junior Swimming Championships Belgrade 2023 Oleksandr Zheltyakov dedicates gold to Ukrainian soldiers


 

Oleksandr Zheltyakov secured Ukraine a first gold of Belgrade 2023 by claiming the 200m backstroke title, in a new European Junior Championship record time, on the fourth day of finals in Serbia.

The 17-year-old Ukrainian powered to the wall first in a new landmark time of one minute 55.79 seconds, shaving 0.04 secs off the previous record which had stood since 2018.

“It’s very special for me and for Ukraine, because it’s the first gold in this competition for Ukraine,” Zheltyakov told LEN after setting a new Ukrainian record in the event.

“I’m so thankful for our soldiers and my family and coach who give me this chance to swim here.”

He was joined on the LEN European Junior Swimming Championship podium by Merlin Ficher of France (1:57.15) and Apostolos Siskos of Greece (1:58.37), who took the silver and bronze medals respectively.

There was double delight for Denmark, who claimed gold medals at either end of evening finals.Their first came in the opening race – the men’s 100m butterfly – while their second came in the last – the mixed 4x100m medley relay – event.

Casper Puggard starred in both, securing a strong 100m fly win in 52.57.

He was joined on the podium by Austrian Lukas Edl (53.37) and Ethan Dumesnil of France (53.68).

He then returned with team-mates Kristine Nilsson Norby, Jonas Gaur and Matyine Damborg to claimed the mixed 4x100m medley relay title in 3:50.04, ahead of Great Britain (3:53.74) and Italy (3:53.81).

There were also two reasons for the strong contingent of Dutch fans to celebrate in the men’s 200m breaststroke final with Steijn Louter powering to a clear gold in 2:14.11.

He was then joined by team-mate Collin Van Der Hoff (2:15.39) who took second, with German swimmer Emilian Hollank (2:15.98) placing third.

The race to discover the fastest junior on the continent – the men’s 50m freestyle – was won by Italian Lorenzo Ballarati in 22.56 seconds, ahead of Poland’s Szymon Misiak (22.75) and fellow Italian Davide Passafaro (22.81).

Estonian breaststroke queen Eneli Jefimova won the triple crowd at the 2022 European Junior Championships in Romania but despite winning the 50m event earlier in the week she was forced to settle for a joined silver in the 200m discipline.

She and Swedish rival Olivia Klint Ipsa finished in 2:26.20, trailing Justine Delmas of France who touched for gold in 2:25.62.

Another defending champion – Dora Molnar of Hungary would manage to retain her crown.

2:11.06 was enough for victory in the 200m backstroke final, ahead of Great Britain’s Holly McGill (2:12.52) and Spaniard Estella Tonrath Nollgen (2:12.65).

Emanuele Potenza of Italy claimed gold in one of the most gruelling events in the swimming programme – the 400m individual medley.

After an intense match-up against Oleksii Hrabarov it was the Italian who prevailed in 4:21.90, ahead of his Ukrainian rival (4:22.94) with Domenico De Gregorio of Italy (4:23.67) completing the podium.

With two days of racing in the Serbian capital Belgrade remaining Italy leads the medal standings with 13 honours, six of which are gold.

For full and detailed results head to the dedicated Belgrade 2023 section of the LEN website.

https://www.len.eu/

 

FULL RESULTS AND REACTION TO EJSC 2023 – DAY 4:

Men’s Junior 100m butterfly:

GOLD: Casper Puggaard – 52.57 – Denmark

SILVER: Lukas Edl – 53.37 – Austria

BRONZE: Ethan Dumesnil – 53.68 – France

“I’ve been waiting since the start of the event and I’ve tried to go faster each time,” Casper Puggaard told LEN. “It’s hard because of the heat. Even though it wasn’t a PB (personal best today) it was so fantastic & it’s indescribable right now. I came in as third or fourth last year & it was a different type of pressure as the number one rank in the 100m & 50 fly, but I just had to do what I could like last year and I couldn’t be more happy.”

 

Men’s Junior 50m freestyle:

GOLD: Lorenzo Ballarati – 22.56 – Italy

SILVER: Szymon Misiak – 22.75 – Poland

BRONZE: Davide Passafaro – 22.81 – Italy

“I feel very good, very happy and satisfied with the race,” Lorenzo Ballarati told LEN. "It’s a PB (personal best). The spectators were very good and now I am the fastest man in European in junior category so I’m (almost) too happy!"

 

Women’s Junior 200m breaststroke:

GOLD: Justine Delmas – 2:25.62 – France

SILVER: Eneli Jefimova – 2:26.20 – Estonia

SILVER: Olivia Klint Ipsa – 2:26.20 – Sweden

It was very hard, the end was very difficult so it’s a pretty good race,” Justine Delmas told LEN. “The crowd made me feel stronger & the public helped me to swim fast. I’m very proud of me because last year I finished second so now I’m the winner which makes me very happy.”

 

Men’s Junior 200m breaststroke:

GOLD: Steijn Louter – 2:14.11 – the Netherlands

SILVER: Collin Van Der Hoff – 2:15.39 – the Netherlands

BRONZE: Emilian Hollank – 2:15.98 – Germany

“I am very happy I didn’t expect it and I’m most happy that we both have a medal that’s just insane,” Steijn Louter told LEN. “The crowd is great & makes you swim much harder.”

 

Men’s Junior 200m backstroke:

GOLD: Oleksandr Zheltyakov – 1:55.79 (EJSR) – Ukraine

SILVER - Merlin Ficher – 1:57.15 – France

BRONZE: Apostolos Siskos – 1:58.37 – Greece

“I am so tired and I am so confused because this win is very important to me, it’s my first gold in the last two years and I’m so happy,” Oleksandr Zheltyakov told LEN. “I have so much pain in all my body, hands legs, but it’s good pain. It’s very special for me and for Ukraine, because it’s the first gold in this competition for Ukraine and I’m so thankful for our soldiers and my family and coach who give me this chance to swim here.”

 

Women’s Junior 200m backstroke:

GOLD: Dora Molnar – 2:11.06 – Hungary

SILVER: Holly McGill – 2:12.52 – Great Britain

BRONZE: Estella Tonrath Nollgen – 2:12.65 – Spain

“I’m so happy about that I could defend my title on 200m back,” Dora Molnar told LEN. “I am very tired, but I focused on my goal - to win the gold and it worked. I’m happy with my time, this is my 3rd best time in this year.”

 

Men’s Junior 400m individual medley:

GOLD: Emanuele Potenza – 4:21.90 – Italy

SILVER: Oleksii Hrabarov – 4:22.94 – Ukraine

BRONZE: Domenico De Gregorio – 4:23.67 – Italy

“I was training for this result so hard,” Emanuele Potenza told LEN. “This is my first gold medal at the Junior European Championships, so I’m extremely happy. It was a hard race, it was painful, but it’s a gold, so worth it!”

 

Mixed 4x100m medley relay:

GOLD: Denmark – 3:50.04

SILVER: Great Britain – 3:53.74

BRONZE: Italy – 3:53.81

“I can’t describe how amazing that we won the gold medal,” Casper Puggaard told LEN. “I swam a 100m butterfly today, it was close to my PB (personal best) and after that swim this result is amazing! This gold mean a lot to me, I enjoyed every second of this relay!”

 

PHOTO credit: István Derencsény/LEN

No comments: