Tuesday, July 11, 2023

A record-breaking final night of European Junior Swimming Championships Belgrade 2023


 

Italy edged Hungary in the LEN European Junior Swimming Championships medal table after a dramatic final night of racing which saw a host of records broken in Belgrade.

Hungarian swimmers secured three individual gold medals on the final night, which looked to have secured them the overall honour, but two relay successes for the Italians at the end of session saw them claim that honour.

However, the highlight of Sunday’s action undoubtedly came in the men’s 400m freestyle final, which saw Bulgarian Petar Mitsin set new World Junior and European Junior records after finishing in 3:44.31.

It beat the previous world junior record (3:44.60) which was set by Olympic champion Mack Horton of Australia back in 2014 and set a new European Junior record.

That had last been broken in 2010 – by another who would go on to became an Olympic champion – Yannick Agnel of France.

Mistin finished clear of Alessandro Ragaini of Italy (3:48.42) and Romania’s Vlad-Stefan (3:50.21) who were second and third respectively.

Another in record-breaking mood – and not for the first time at Belgrade 2023 – was Lana Pudar – who secured a hattrick of butterfly titles, by adding the 50m crown to her 100m and 200m successes earlier in the week.

Her time of 26.10 was also a new European Junior Championship record, a honour she had also achieved in both of her previous victories over the longer-distance events.

Martine Damborg (26.40) of Denmark and Germany’s Anna Maria Boaestler (26.55) claimed silver and bronze.

Great Britain attained had to wait until the final day for their first gold medal that was secured by the defending women’s 200m individual medley champion Leah Scholsshan, who set a new European Junior Championship Record time of 2:12.41.

Countrywoman Pheobe Cooper took second with Ireland’s Ellie McCarney third.

Among the other standout performers on the final night of the Belgrade 2023 were Eneli Jefimova of Estonia (100m breaststroke), Ukrainian Oleksandr Zheltyakov (100m backstroke), Casper Puggard (50m butterfly) and Jonas Gaur (100m breaststroke).

Each of those swimmers claiming their second titles of the week.

Nikoletta Padar of Hungary rounded off a stunning individual competition by denying Turkiye’s Merve Tuncel the ‘triple-triple’ with victory in the women’s 400m freestyle event.

Lora Fanni Komoroczy (100m backstroke) and Boldzar Magda (100m freestyle) were other Hungarian individual gold medla winners on day six.

For reports and reactions head to the swimming section of the LEN website and for a full list of race results, CLICK HERE.

 

EJSC 2023 – DAY SIX – RESULTS AND REACTION:

Women’s 200m Junior Individual Medley FINAL

GOLD: Leah Schlosshan (2:12.41) – Great Britain (EJCR)

SILVER: Pheobe Cooper (2:13.28 ) – Great Britain

BRONZE: Ellie McCarney (2:14.31) – Ireland

"I am really happy I was able to defend my title from last year,” Leah Schlosshan told LEN. “It's just a tiny bit off my best time, but I'm happy with the swim. This result show that my trainings are consistent. The Olympics is in the next year, so I will continue my trainings, I will se what I able to do next year."

 

Women’s 100m Junior Backstroke FINAL

GOLD: Lora Fanni Komoroczy (1:01.10) – Hungary

SILVER: Daria-Mariuca Silisteanu (1:01.24) – Romania

BRONZE: Giada Gorlier (1:01.36) – Italy

“It was really hurting and it was so long, but I am super happy, because last year I've finished in the 4th position, now I could win this event,” Lora Komoroczy told LEN. I” do not know how I did it. My team's cheering gave me a huge support! I said to me I can't swim slow, because they are here and cheering for me."

 

Men’s 100m Junior Backstroke FINAL

GOLD: Oleksandr Zheltyakov (54.18) – Ukraine

SILVER: Christi26an Bacico (54.26) – Italy

BRONZE: Matthew Ward (54.61) – Great Britain

“I am feeling so excited because it’s very hard and I was so tired mentally and physically after the 200m backstroke, so I’m really happy,” Oleksandr Zheltyakov told LEN. “I’ve won two golds and it’s been an amazing competition.”

 

Women’s 100m Junior Breaststroke FINAL

GOLD: Eneli Jefimova (1:06.81) – Estonia

SILVER: Olivia Klint Ipsa (1:07.26) – Sweden

BRONZE: Justine Delmas (1:08.57) – France

“To be honest the last few days were really tough for me, but I’m really happy I won the 100m breaststroke (in a row) at the European Junior Championships,” Eneli Jefimova told LEN. “I want to say thank you to everyone who was watching and supporting me.”

 

Men’s 100m Junior Freestyle FINAL

GOLD: Boldzsar Magda (49.52) – Hungary

SILVER: Davide Passafaro – (49.63) Italy

BRONZE: Rafael Fente Damers – (49.72) France

“My heart rate was in the sky before the race, I really wanted to swim this 100m free,” Boldzsar Magda told LEN. “In the semis the 100m free was so easy for me. In the final, it was already very close, five of us came under fifty, everyone was tactical - they analysed each other's swims. But I won, the fruits of a lot of work finally ripened.”

 

Men’s 100m Junior Breaststroke FINAL

GOLD: Jonas Gaur (1:01.78) – Denmark

SILVER: Stejin Louter (1:01.94) – Netherlands

BRONZE: Uros Zivanovic (1:02.09) – Serbia

“Absolutely incredible atmosphere from my team and the whole crowd here and it’s been such a pleasure to race here this week,” Jonas Gaur told LEN. “I’ve exceeded my expectations as I didn’t expect to win the 100m and I couldn’t been more pleased.”

 

Women’s 50m Junior Butterfly FINAL

GOLD: Lana Pudar (26.10) Bosnia-Herzegovina (EJCR)

SILVER: Martine Damborg (26.40) – Denmark

BRONZE: Anna Maria Boaestler (26.55) – Germany

“I really wanted to complete the three gold medals (in the butterfly events) and after three years I finally did it and I’m so happy that in all three events I broke a championship record, that’s amazing.” Lana Pudar told LEN. “I’m really happy with these results and so excited for the World championships coming because I think I can swim even better.”

 

Men’s 50m Junior Butterfly FINAL

GOLD: Casper Puggard (23.67) – Denmark

SILVER: Ethan Dumesnil (23.90) – France

BRONZE: Ivan Harbarchuk (24.19) – Ukraine

 

Women’s 400m Junior Freestyle FINAL

GOLD: Nikolett Padar (4:08.06) – Hungary

SILVER: Merve Tuncel (4:10.44) – Turkey

BRONZE: Maya Werner (4:12.32) – Germany

“I'm very happy,” Nikolett Padar told LEN. “In my mind, I focused on this during the entire European Championships, so that it would be successful. I swam a huge personal best, so I'm very happy! I am very happy that I managed to beat Merve Tuncel. I really just wanted to go all the way with her, and then in the last hundred I felt that I could catch him - my legs kicked in and I won!"

 

Men’s 400m Junior Freestyle FINAL

GOLD: Petar Mitsin (3:44.31) – Bulgaria – WJR

SILVER: Alessandro Ragaini (3:48.42) – Italy

BRONZE: Vlad-Stefan Stancu (3:50.21) – Romania

“I can’t explain how happy I am, all the training, I’m so happy it all finally paid off and I want to say something to everyone – trust in gold, believe in god and he will help you every time,” Petar Mitsin told LEN. “I just I trust the process and training and some day when I’m getting better results, I think I will make new records. The next step is a great weekend rest and then to continue training. I will celebrate with my family, close friends, coach and everyone from the Bulgarian swimming federation.”

 

Women’s 4x100m Junior Medley Relay FINAL

GOLD: Italy (4:04.26)

SILVER: France (4:05.63)

BRONZE: Denmark (4:06.13)

“It was amazing and we’re very proud and happy with the relay. We thought it was only a dream to win this relay so we are very happy and excited,” Sara Curtis told LEN. “We are a family and when one of us is racing we are always excited for them and support one another.”

 

Men’s 4x100m Junior Medley Relay FINAL

GOLD: Italy (3:39.80)

SILVER: Denmark (3:39.84)

BRONZE: France (3:42.16)

 

Photo credit: István Derencsény/LEN

No comments: