Saturday, June 26, 2021

Swim Ireland - Ellen Walshe breaks third Irish Senior Record with FINA 'A' time



Templeogue’s Ellen Walshe set her third Irish Senior Record of the week on Friday night at the Swim Ireland Performance Meet.

The 20-year-old clocked an impressive 2:13.17 in the morning heats of the 200m Individual Medley, lowering the long-standing record set by Grainne Murphy in 2009.

In the evening Walshe improved on this time significantly, clocking 2:12.02, which is under the FINA ‘A’ standard of 2:12.56 for the upcoming Olympic Games. Swim Ireland’s own selection policy for the Tokyo Games provides that to be in a position to qualify for the Games from this June Performance Meet, athletes had to be within 1.5% of the FINA ‘A’ standard at the Olympic Trials meet in April.

Prior to the meet, Swim Ireland named the 10 athletes who were in that position and Walshe was not one of them. The matter will be taken under consideration.

Speaking about the swim, Walshe said: “It just hurts, but I’m delighted with it. I still can’t believe it. I was just hoping I would be out faster than this morning. I was a little bit nervous tonight. I knew I had to try and stay calm, people were saying good luck to me and it gets into me sometimes.

“But I knew I had to try to stay chill, and it obviously works when I’m calm, I just swim so much better. I just can’t thank enough everyone who has got me to this point.”

Cookstown’s Calum Bain came close to mirroring Walshe’s feat when posting 22.18 in the Men’s 50m Freestyle. The time was 0.04s slower than the Irish Senior Record and agonisingly close to the FINA ‘A’ standard of 22.01 and he will get another opportunity on Saturday night to achieve that in a time trial.

Also in record-breaking form was Cillian Melly, who set a new Irish Senior Record in the gruelling 400m Individual Medley, clocking 4:23.22.

The National Centre Dublin swimmer said: “That was tough. It’s been about two years since I’ve done 400m IM, so it’s nice to get under that Irish Senior Record, I came close two years ago, so I said I wanted it back. It hurt a lot on the way home, but I knew I had to put myself in contention.”

In the Men’s 200m Individual Medley, Trojan Swimming Club’s Ethan Hansen twice broke the Irish Junior Record previously owned by Eoin Corby. He finished up in the final with 2:04.11.

Saturday’s final day of action includes Eoin Corby and Niamh Coyne bidding for an Olympic Consideration Time in 200m Breaststroke. Danielle Hill will go for the Irish Senior Record in 50m Freestyle, and there will be additional opportunities for swimmers to achieve FINA ‘A’ times in three time trials.

They are Men’s 50m Freestyle, Men’s 200m Freestyle and Men’s 100m Backstroke. These will take place after the last final.

Issued by Swim Ireland

PHOTOS: Credit David Kiberd


 

Michael Phelps Teaches Swimming

Most of us can swim, but there’s a difference between dog paddling on vacation and swimming for fitness. If you’re looking to unlock the low-impact, calorie-burning benefits of swimming, check out this course from Michael Phelps on This Skills. The 26-time Olympic gold medalist will cover everything you need to feel confidant and comfortable swimming laps. You’ll learn all the basic strokes, plus wall kicking, diving and other techniques, but you’ll also get a glimpse into the mindset of the most decorated Olympian of all time.

Learn more at https://tinyurl.com/v4nmne8h

No comments: