Saturday, December 7, 2019

Two European records, Morozov downs Manaudou, Hosszu wins two in 40min at the 20th European Short-Course Swimming Championships, Glasgow


A day of heroic efforts and brilliant battles saw some truly outstanding swims at 20th European Short-Course Swimming Championships in Glasgow. Two European records fell in the evening, Ilya Shymanovich brought the mark down in the 100m breast and Andreia Vazaios in the 200m IM. In the most anticipated clash of the entire meet, Vladimir Morozov managed to beat returning French superstar Florent Manaudou in the 50m free. Katinka Hosszu won two titles in 40 minutes, with 19 golds now she is tied first in the all-time individual ranks in the short-course Europeans. Italy added two more titles as Gregorio Paltrinieri sat back to his throne in the 1500m and Margherita Panziera came first in the 200m back. The hosts could celebrate another triumph thanks to Freya Anderson’s surprising win in the 100m free, Kliment Kolesnikov showed his class in the 100m back and as a worthy ending of this magnificent day France and the Netherlands were tied for gold in the women’s 4x50m free relay.
The home fans could get on their feet right at the beginning as Freya Anderson kicked in the party by winning the 100m free. The Brit turned sixth at the half-way mark but produced a breath-taking homecoming leg and became only the second Brit to win this event 21 years after Sue Rolph’s victory in Sheffield.

Next came the first European record of the day, Belorussian Ilya Shymanovich brought down Adam Peaty’s mark from 2017 in the 100m breast by clocking 55.89 in the semis. Soon another ER was gone, Andreias Vazaios did an outstanding job and he beat another legend’s best effort, Hungarian Laszlo Cseh’s record stood for four years before the Greek hero bettered it now (1:50.85).
There were other kind of doubles, first of all Katinka Hosszu’s passed a couple of milestones by claiming golds in a span of 40 minutes in the 200m fly and the 100m IM. The latter one was Hungary’s 1000th medal in swimming history at major events (all pools, Olympics, Worlds, Europeans, age-group included) – and her 19th title at the short-course Europeans, which ties her with Slovakia’s Martina Moravcova on the all-time ranks among the women. These are all individual victories, all-time bests as well (tied with Cseh), though the absolute leader Germany’s Thomas Rupprath is still a bit away with his 26 wins (17 individual, 9 relay golds).
Russia and Italy also enjoyed a golden double respectively. Vladimir Morozov won the most anticipated duel of the meet by beating Florent Manaudou who came back some six months ago, having opted to play handball for three years after the Rio Olympics. Morozov was dominant in all three acts, heats, semis and in the final where he gained 0.26sec on the French giant whose WR was also in danger but the Russian rocket missed it by 0.14sec.
Compatriot Kliment Kolesnikov was close to his own ER too in the 100m back, 0.19sec separated him from beating it – and 0.85sec from silver medallist Christian Diener so the young Russian retained his 2017 title with ease.
Italy grabbed two golds too: Margharita Panziera delivered the nation’s first-ever title in the 200m back – she turned her 2017 bronze into gold while Ukraine’s Daryna Zevina, three-time champion in 2011-13, now returning from a year-long sabbatical, claimed silver just like in Copenhagen. Then Gregorio Paltrinieri re-conquered the 1500m free – once unbeaten for four years, Super-Greg couldn’t claim a title in his favourite race since the summer of 2017 but now he was back and ruled the race right from the beginning.
The session was closed by a special double: two relays stood on the top of the podium as the anchors of the French and the Dutch quartet in the 4x50m free clocked identical times so they shared the gold medals – in fact it was almost a three-way tie as the Danish touched the wall just 0.03sec later.
The European Championships return on Saturday with eight finals in the evening session – the morning heats start at 9.30 (GMT) while the finals kick-off at 17.00 GMT.


For detailed results please visit: http://glasgow2019.microplustiming.com/index.php

Follow our free live streaming with English commentary on our website here: http://www2.len.eu/?p=15525

For quotes and a daily summary with the medal standings see the other two attachments.

Women’s 100m freestyle
Gold: Freya Anderson (GBR) 51.49
“I’m shocked and happy. I didn’t expect the medal in this event. I feel so tired now but it’s been amazing. I know there were big names in this event but big names don’t win races and I just wanted to compete with this great swimmers.”
Silver: Beryl Castaldello (FRA) 51.85
”The goal was to swim a low-52 despite of being tired from yesterday races. By the way, yesterday I’ve painted my toe-nails silver – now I see I should have chosen gold...”
Bronze: Femke Heemskerk (NED) 51.88
”I think I had a good race. I would have liked to do a little bit more. The new generation is stepping up but I’m still here and that’s a good feeling.”

Women’s 200m backstroke
Gold: Margherita Panziera (ITA) 2:01.45
“I’m very satisfied, I think I’ve bettered our national record. The race was tough, the other girls came so fast and I thought I couldn’t make it so I’m really happy for this gold.”
Silver: Daryna Zevina (UKR) 2:02.25
”I had a long holiday, almost a year with no swimming. Two months before the competition I’ve started training so I had no expectation coming here as I didn’t know what I was capable of achieving here. Now I got two silvers so I’m really happy now.”
Bronze: Kira Toussaint (NED) 2:03.04
”I’m totally exhausted. This 200m race never ends. I’m definitely a 50-100m swimmer. My mother is in the stands and I’m sure she enjoys it and perhaps she is proud that I got a medal in the 200m too.” (Note: Kira’s mother Yolanda de Rover was Olympic champion in this event in 1984.)

Men’s 200m IM
Gold: Andreas Vazaios (GRE) 1:50.85 ER
“I wanted to do the European record so I’m so excited now. It was so hard and I really wanted to win this. This represents all my hard work and dedication, which has just paid off. I want to thank this to my family and my coaching staff for always being there for me.”
Silver: Tomoe Zenimoto Hvas (NOR) 1:51.74
”I’m absolutely delighted! This medal means a lot to me, to my coach, to my club. This is a very big moment for me.”
Bronze: Philip Heintz (GER) 1.52.55
”I trained much less this year, so I was already very satisfied with making the final. I was not aiming at a medal at all so I’m really pleased with this bronze.”

Women’s 200m fly
Gold: Katinka Hosszu (HUN) 2:03.21
“That was something you could kind of expect from this race. I love racing so I enjoyed this battle very much.”
Silver: Ilaria Bianchi (ITA) 2:04.20
”I wasn’t expecting this. I managed to get ahead and stuck with it till the end.”
Bronze: Zsuzsanna Jakabos (HUN) 2:05.00
”Almost as good time as I had in the heats where I had to push hard as besides Katinka we had Bogi (Boglarka Kapas, world champion in Gwangju) in the heats and only two of us could make it. Reaching the final was the target, this bronze is a bonus. What makes me happy that the list time I was able to clock times like today was in 2013.”

Men’s 100m back
Gold: Kliment Kolesnikov (RUS) 49.09
“I feel tired, tut that’s cool and I’m happy with the result. I think I can go faster, I don’t think I’ve reached my limit today. I don’t like to talk about times but I’m sure I’ll go faster in the relay.”
Silver: Christian Diener (GER) 49.94
”I missed my third turn, it was not good enough to win this race. Nevertheless, it’s a national record. I just have to improve.”
Bronze: Robert-Andrei Glinta (ROU) 50.30
”I’m satisfied. It was a pretty busy season so this medal means a lot to me.”

Women’s 100m IM
Gold: Katinka Hosszu (HUN) 57.36
“Wow, that was fun! And it’s an honour that I could win Hungary’s 1000th medal at big championships since 1896. Obviously, this had to be a gold so I’m really happy to win this race. This 57.3 makes me pretty satisfied because I’m anything but fast now in the middle of heavy trainings but after so many years spent at this level I kind of know that in a final like this I have to step up and indeed I step up.”
Silver: Maria Kameneva (RUS) 57.59
“I am satisfied because I beat the national record. This is not an Olympic distance so I’m not really focusing on it. I have confidence in myself because of the results I achieved in this season. It’s a good finish of the year.”
Bronze: Jenna Laukkanen (FIN) 58.62
”I don’t know what’s happened, I’m still in shock! It was so unexpected, especially because it’s my second swim this afternoon of the 100m breast semis.”

Men’s 1500m freestyle
Gold: Gregorio Paltrinieri (ITA) 14:17.14
“I didn’t have a plan for today’s race. It was quite difficult, I haven’t swum since the World Championships. But then this field all came together with great rivals, so it’s a great feeling to be European champion once again. The race was tough, very tough. Yesterday I felt better in the heats, today I didn’t have the same feeling but then it’s a final, tensions are in the air and that’s how finals look like. All in all, I’m quite satisfied.”
Silver: Henrik Christiansen (NOR) 14:18.15
”I felt really good today unlike the 400m which was not that great. Now I’m happy for the medal and the time.”
Bronze: David Aubry (FRA) 14:25.66
”I was not very prepared for this meet because the main goal in the coming season is the Olympic Games. The race was not easy for me but it’s always nice to grab a medal.”

Men’s 50m freestyle
Gold: Vladimir Morozov (RUS) 20.40
“I feel good, I wanted this gold. Racing against Manaudou is always motivating and now the mission is accomplished. I wanted to break the world record but I’ve come a bit short. This is my fourth final and my fourth gold here so I’m really happy. I’m ready and prepared for racing a lot, we’ll see how the 100m will go tomorrow.”
Silver: Florent Manaudou (FRA) 20.66
“After this long break and six months of training this is not too bad. I’m a little bit unhappy for finishing only second but it’s normal for a racer. I did not really know how to prepare myself between the semis and the final.”
Bronze: Maxim Lobanovskii (HUN) 20.76
”I expected that time. And I know I can get even faster so the next goal is to swim under 20 next season. After the semis I felt terrible but it’s always better to swim bad at the beginning of the session than in the final. I wanted to beat these guys, Vladimir and Florent, I couldn’t make it but next time I’ll have another try.”

Women’s 4x50m freestyle relay
Gold (tied): France 1:35.21
Anna Santamans:
“It’s just like a dream to win a gold medal upon my comeback. I heavily injured my shoulders and it took me two years to recover.”
Gold (tied): Netherlands 1:35.21
Valerie van Roon:
”It’s so-so great and amazing. We are all really happy.”
Tamara van Vliet:
“It feels really great. We all wanted this gold really badly because two years ago we had won and we wanted to repeat that.”

Bronze: Denmark 1:35.24
Pernille Blume
”I think it was a good relay race, it was really close. So I think we did a great job.”


NIZport - Buy the best swimming products with the #nizportfrancis coupon and get 15% off on the official website http://adrianoniz.com/shop/ or in store: Street - Rua Varzim Sport Clube, 97 4490-588 Póvoa de Varzim – Portugal

Qatar Airways is proud to be one of the youngest global airlines to serve all six continents, and thanks to our customers’ response to our offerings, we are also the world’s fastest-growing airline. We connect more than 160 destinations on the map every day, with a fleet of the latest-generation aircraft, and an unrivalled level of service from our home and hub, the Five-star airport, Hamad International Airport in Doha, the State of Qatar. Click the link to learn more https://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=kY2ULcT6wG4&offerid=551783.22&subid=0&type=4

Do you already know the Smiles program? With it, you earn miles on everything you do: flying with the best airlines, shopping at Shopping Smiles, booking hotels, renting cars or transferring points from your credit card. Traveling with miles is easier. To enjoy all these advantages you must be registered in the program. Join the link now https://bit.ly/37Cby4r

Vuelos baratos, hoteles y alojamientos en oferta, Paquetes turísticos y más. Almundo te propone las mejores ofertas y oportunidades para que viajes en serio sin gastar de más. Buscamos brindarte la mejor y más personalizada atención para que hagas de tus vacaciones lo único que deben ser: espectaculares Aprovecha nuestras oportunidades en vuelos baratos, promociones aéreas, alojamientos, paquetes turísticos, alquiler de autos, actividades, cruceros y seguros de viaje. Llegamos a todo el planeta: México, Brasil, Caribe, Estados Unidos, Europa y miles de destinos más. Empieza a disfrutar ahora de tu viaje comprando con el mejor precio y la mejor financiación en Almundo. A saber mas https://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=kY2ULcT6wG4&offerid=701501.90&subid=0&type=4

Allianz Global Assistance is a leading consumer specialty insurance and assistance company. We insure 21 million customers annually and are best known for our Allianz Travel Insurance plans. In addition to travel insurance, Allianz Global Assistance USA offers tuition insurance, event ticket protection, registration protection for endurance events and unique travel assistance services such as international medical assistance and concierge services. The company also serves as an outsource provider for in-bound call center services and claims administration for health insurers, property and casualty insurers, and credit card companies.
For more information about Allianz Travel Insurance plans, please visit https://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=kY2ULcT6wG4&offerid=688162.3&type=3&subid=0

Malaysia Airlines has a long and proud history of a product and brand synonymous with outstanding, warm hospitality. Serving more than 50 destinations worldwide and operating over 300 flights a day.
Malaysia Airlines embodies the incredible diversity of Malaysia, capturing its rich traditions, cultures, cuisines and warm hospitality onboard. The award-winning flight attendants who embody this wear the traditional sarong kebaya as their uniform. It was designed to reflect pride in Malaysian traditions and culture. The batik motif and design elements include local flowers ‎such as cempaka, jasmine and hibiscus.

Groupon is building the daily habit in local commerce, offering a vast mobile and online marketplace where people discover and save on amazing things to do, see, eat and buy. By enabling real-time commerce across local businesses, travel destinations, consumer products and live events, shoppers can find the best a city has to offer. Groupon is redefining how small businesses attract and retain customers by providing them with customizable and scalable marketing tools and services to profitably grow their businesses. Learn more about our services https://bit.ly/2rG8N1P

Dufry is present in over 400 locations across the globe – hence, it is very likely that you will pass by one of our stores either on your departing trip or on arrival. Our stores include traditional duty-free and duty-paid departures and arrivals stores, as well as specialized shops in all categories. We look forward to welcoming you on your next trip! https://bit.ly/2NSRG5a

Pipefly gives you unforgettable tours and leisure experiences. If Portugal is your destination, then we are definitely “memory maker”.
Pipefly is partnering with FrancisSwim for supporting the readers while training and visiting Cascais, Portugal. We will provide special conditions to the ones following FrancisSwim website and social networks.
Pipefly will provide you with: Logistic support while you are training or competing in Cascais Region. Moments of relax, to you and your family, through different experiences, hiking in Natural Park, surf or sailing… Cultural tours for visiting this amazing region. For more information please contact us! https://www.pipeflytours.com/

Arena Swimwear is your shop for high tech, competitive swimwear, swimsuits, gear, and equipment. Take a look at our full catalogue inside www.arenawaterinstinct.com.br Buy with discount coupon #arenafrancis to get 12% off

As the leading worldwide distributor of European rail products, Rail Europe is the only one-stop-shop for planning and booking European train travel and sightseeing products. From rail passes to train tickets and reservations, we provide unparalleled access to an extensive array of rail products from over 50 European train companies. https://bit.ly/332AMFX

Quem é apaixonado por viajar, já desfruta ou vai desfrutar, das facilidades oferecidas pelo SEM PARAR. Estamos presentes nas praças de pedágio das principais rodovias do Brasil, além de inúmeros estacionamentos em shoppings, nos principais aeroportos de São Paulo e mais. Ou seja, você com certeza já passou pelo Sem Parar no caminho até um dos seus destinos. Clique e veja como funciona https://bit.ly/35tVkbP


No comments: