Monday, December 9, 2019

20th European Short-Course Swimming Championships, Glasgow – Day 4


Russian relay breaks ER, title No. 20 for Hosszu, Anderson stuns Pellegrini
Russia holds a 7-5 lead over Italy and the Netherlands on the medal chart after landing two more titles on Day 4 in Glasgow, including a mixed free relay gold which came with a new European record. Katinka Hosszu wrote history by claiming her 20th individual gold medal at the short-course Europeans – that put her on the top of the all-time rankings and she also extended her unbeaten run in the 200m IM at major events to 66 races, an incredible feat. The golden pair of Kira Toussaint and Arno Kamminga delivered wins for the Netherlands again, while Freya Anderson completed a 100-200m free double as she stunned world champion Federica Pellegrini over the longer distance.

Italy opened the day with a brilliant 1-2 in the women’s 100m breast – just like in the 50m. This time the runner-up in the dash Martina Carraro came first, ahead of compatriot Arianna Casiglioni while Finland’s Jenna Laukkanen finished third after being second in 2017 and first in 2015.
The Italians expected at least another gold some ten minutes later in the women’s 200m free as world champion Federica Pellegrini – who also won this event four times in this meet, first in 2008 – was a clear favourite but GB’s Freya Anderson just came up with another devastating homecoming leg. Just like in the 100m, she turned 6th before the last lap but then she blew the field away. In fact she gained 1.1sec on Pellegrini over the last 50m and completed her brilliant 100-200m free double –something only Belorussia’s Alena Popchanka had been capable of in the meet’s history back in 2002.

Soon Katinka Hosszu accomplished what no other swimmer could before at the short-course Europeans: she clinched her 20th individual title (the 4th here in Glasgow), surpassing Martina Moravcova (SVK) and compatriot Laszlo Cseh who had led the all-time ranks before Glasgow with 19 victories apiece. By finishing atop in the 200m IM she also completed the IM treble at the third straight edition after 2015 and 2017 and extended her unbeaten run in this event to 66 races at major events (Olympics, Worlds, Europeans, World Cups) – for seven years no one could beat her in the 200m IM, an unparalleled feat in the world of swimming. Interestingly, the first-ever international medal Katinka Hosszu grabbed came at the short-course Europeans, in Vienna, when she finished third as a 15-year old in the 400m IM – celebration of the 15th anniversary is due in five days.

The Dutch title-delivery service run by Kira Toussaint and Arno Kamminga was on time again – just like on Day 2. Kamminga added the 100m breast crown to the one he had in the 200m, and this was even more precious as he managed to finish off Belorussia’s Ilya Shymanovich who had set a new ER in the semis but in the final, where only racing matters, he couldn’t come up with the same effort. He was 0.53sec off his record-breaking pace while Kamminga’s killing second 50 proved to be a winning effort.

Toussaint won the self-declared ‘fun-race’, the 50m back, so she snatched medals in all three backstroke events, gold in the 100m and bronze in the 200m. France’s Beryl Gastaldello managed to put together a never-seenbefore silver collection as she finished runner-up in this 50m back, just like in the 50m fly and the 100m free.
Russia didn’t leave the Tollcross complex without triumphs this day either. Towards the end of the session Oleg Kostin touched in first in the 50m fly, the next four stormed in within 0.07sec but Florent Manaudou was the last in the line to finish 5th a bit surprisingly. On the contrary, faith paid something back to Turkey’s Umitcan Gures who missed the podium by 0.02sec in the 100m but this time the tiniest difference (0.01sec) helped him to get the bronze.
Soon the Frenchman showed something special, though, as he threw in an amazing 20.09 split over the second leg of the mixed 4x50m free relay which helped his team go finish third – the Russians were too fast for the rest and after setting a new WR in the mixed medley, here they break the ER (1:28.31). Vlad Morozov was on fire as usual and claimed his fifth gold in Glasgow.

Women’s 100m breaststroke
Gold: Martina Carraro (ITA) 1:04.51
”I’m pretty happy, this is very important to me, my first gold! It is not my best time but it was important to win and I just did it.”
Silver: Arianna Castiglioni (ITA) 1:05.01
“In this moment the time was secondary because this is my first medal at the short-course Europeans.”
Bronze: Jenna Laukkanen (FIN) 1:05.12
”I’m not too happy with my time but during this type of finals you have to do your best. Nevertheless it was sufficient to win a medal and now I have a full collection of medals in this event.

Women’s 200m IM
Gold: Katinka Hosszu (HUN) 2.04.68
”I cannot even recall how many turns I did wrong but a lot. It wasn’t a really composed swim but I put in the hard work in order to reach this level where I can get the desired place in the race with a weaker or bad swim, like today. So even if I don’t look really happy, inside I’m delighted with this gold as well.”
Silver: Maria Ugolkova (SUI) 2:06.59
”It was a tight race and I’m very happy as I didn’t expect a medal at all. And just want to say that I love this pool.”
Bronze: Shioban O’Connor (GBR) 2:06.74
”I’m very happy with the time and the medal. It was a difficult race but I think I paced it very well.”


Women’s 200m freestyle
Gold: Freya Anderson (GBR) 1:52.77
”I’m overwhelmed and really happy as I did absolutely not expect this medal.”
Silver: Federica Pellegrini (ITA) 1:52.88
”I’m content with this silver. I haven’t been feeling well today, I have a fever. In this situation it is good to have this race going this way.”
Bronze: Femke Heemskerk (NED) 1:53.35
”This was my last 200m at the short-course Europeans, so I wanted to perform well. I admit that I’m totally exhausted but it was satisfying to reach the podium.”


Men’s 100m breaststroke
Gold: Arno Kamminga (NED) 56.06
”Yesterday my first 50m a little bit too fast, I had to adapt the good speed in order to have reserves for the second 50 which is my strength. This were outstanding championships for me as I broke all three national records in the breaststroke events.”
Silver: Ilya Shymanovich (BLR) 56.42
”I don’t know… I feel bad now…”
Bronze: Fabio Scozzoli (ITA) 56.55
”I’m satisfied, my goal was to get a medal. It was a very close race, I felt good, to me it was important to stay in front and I succeeded.”


Men’s 50m fly
Gold: Oleg Kostin (RUS) 22.23
“I’m very happy to claim this gold medal. The time is good but I think I still have a lot of work ahead of me. I want to prove I can repeat this in the future too.”
Silver: Szebasztian Szabo (HUN) 22.35
”I’m happy and sad at the same time. Claiming a silver is fine but I came to win this event. However, I shouldn’t have bad feelings even if I think my final touch at the wall was not the best and maybe that cost me the title.”
Bronze: Uemitcan Gueres (TUR) 22.38
”I feel happy because two days ago I missed the bronze medal by 0.02sec, while today I won it by 0.01sec, so I’m pretty glad now.”


Women’s 50m back
Gold: Kira Toussiant (NED) 25.84
”I told myself that I just wanted to enjoy this evening and I did. Sometimes we forget how great fun we can have in a competition. I love to race and today was able to find the happiness in it in full and that makes me really happy.”
Silver: Beryl Gastaldello (FRA) 26.03
“I fell pretty tired. It’s been a combination of resetting myself and feeling exhausted at the end of the day. It’s a bit disappointing to come second for the third time but it’s important to continue to reach finals and stay close to the top. I’m also very happy for my medal in the mixed relay, if I had swum better we might have gone for the gold and the record as well. Still, I’m very proud of myself as it’s difficult to switch from one stroke to the other but I could do that well today.”
Bronze: Alicja Tchorz (POL)
”I really enjoyed the race. I’m very happy for the bronze medal, it’s an improvement from the 7th place in the semi-final. It’s my second time on the podium and the most important result so far.”


Mixed 4x50m freestyle relay
Gold: Russia 1:28.31 ER
Vladimir Morozov:
”At this moment what can I say? I’m happy but also tired. We knew we could do really amazing things with this relay and we just did it. Now I’m just exhausted, wish to finish this event well and have a big rest.”
Silver: Great Britain 1:28.64
Anna Hopkin:
”I am so happy. The crowd has been amazing, it’s been a great pleasure in front of our fans.
Scott McClay:
“What a great feeling! It was an amazing race, we pulled it away as a team. We gave our best and succeeded. I also loved racing in front of a home crowd.”
Bronze: France 1:28.86
Florent Manaudou:
”The sensations came back during this relay final and the conclusion of the day for France, to win a medal, is just fine.”

NIZport - Buy the best swimming products with the #nizportfrancis coupon and get 15% off on the official website http://adrianoniz.com/shop/ or in store: Street - Rua Varzim Sport Clube, 97 4490-588 Póvoa de Varzim – Portugal

Qatar Airways is proud to be one of the youngest global airlines to serve all six continents, and thanks to our customers’ response to our offerings, we are also the world’s fastest-growing airline. We connect more than 160 destinations on the map every day, with a fleet of the latest-generation aircraft, and an unrivalled level of service from our home and hub, the Five-star airport, Hamad International Airport in Doha, the State of Qatar. Click the link to learn more https://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=kY2ULcT6wG4&offerid=551783.22&subid=0&type=4

Do you already know the Smiles program? With it, you earn miles on everything you do: flying with the best airlines, shopping at Shopping Smiles, booking hotels, renting cars or transferring points from your credit card. Traveling with miles is easier. To enjoy all these advantages you must be registered in the program. Join the link now https://bit.ly/37Cby4r

Vuelos baratos, hoteles y alojamientos en oferta, Paquetes turísticos y más. Almundo te propone las mejores ofertas y oportunidades para que viajes en serio sin gastar de más. Buscamos brindarte la mejor y más personalizada atención para que hagas de tus vacaciones lo único que deben ser: espectaculares Aprovecha nuestras oportunidades en vuelos baratos, promociones aéreas, alojamientos, paquetes turísticos, alquiler de autos, actividades, cruceros y seguros de viaje. Llegamos a todo el planeta: México, Brasil, Caribe, Estados Unidos, Europa y miles de destinos más. Empieza a disfrutar ahora de tu viaje comprando con el mejor precio y la mejor financiación en Almundo. A saber mas https://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=kY2ULcT6wG4&offerid=701501.90&subid=0&type=4

Allianz Global Assistance is a leading consumer specialty insurance and assistance company. We insure 21 million customers annually and are best known for our Allianz Travel Insurance plans. In addition to travel insurance, Allianz Global Assistance USA offers tuition insurance, event ticket protection, registration protection for endurance events and unique travel assistance services such as international medical assistance and concierge services. The company also serves as an outsource provider for in-bound call center services and claims administration for health insurers, property and casualty insurers, and credit card companies.
For more information about Allianz Travel Insurance plans, please visit https://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=kY2ULcT6wG4&offerid=688162.3&type=3&subid=0

Malaysia Airlines has a long and proud history of a product and brand synonymous with outstanding, warm hospitality. Serving more than 50 destinations worldwide and operating over 300 flights a day.
Malaysia Airlines embodies the incredible diversity of Malaysia, capturing its rich traditions, cultures, cuisines and warm hospitality onboard. The award-winning flight attendants who embody this wear the traditional sarong kebaya as their uniform. It was designed to reflect pride in Malaysian traditions and culture. The batik motif and design elements include local flowers ‎such as cempaka, jasmine and hibiscus.

Groupon is building the daily habit in local commerce, offering a vast mobile and online marketplace where people discover and save on amazing things to do, see, eat and buy. By enabling real-time commerce across local businesses, travel destinations, consumer products and live events, shoppers can find the best a city has to offer. Groupon is redefining how small businesses attract and retain customers by providing them with customizable and scalable marketing tools and services to profitably grow their businesses. Learn more about our services https://bit.ly/2rG8N1P

Dufry is present in over 400 locations across the globe – hence, it is very likely that you will pass by one of our stores either on your departing trip or on arrival. Our stores include traditional duty-free and duty-paid departures and arrivals stores, as well as specialized shops in all categories. We look forward to welcoming you on your next trip! https://bit.ly/2NSRG5a

Pipefly gives you unforgettable tours and leisure experiences. If Portugal is your destination, then we are definitely “memory maker”.
Pipefly is partnering with FrancisSwim for supporting the readers while training and visiting Cascais, Portugal. We will provide special conditions to the ones following FrancisSwim website and social networks.
Pipefly will provide you with: Logistic support while you are training or competing in Cascais Region. Moments of relax, to you and your family, through different experiences, hiking in Natural Park, surf or sailing… Cultural tours for visiting this amazing region. For more information please contact us! https://www.pipeflytours.com/

Arena Swimwear is your shop for high tech, competitive swimwear, swimsuits, gear, and equipment. Take a look at our full catalogue inside www.arenawaterinstinct.com.br Buy with discount coupon #arenafrancis to get 12% off

As the leading worldwide distributor of European rail products, Rail Europe is the only one-stop-shop for planning and booking European train travel and sightseeing products. From rail passes to train tickets and reservations, we provide unparalleled access to an extensive array of rail products from over 50 European train companies. https://bit.ly/332AMFX

Quem é apaixonado por viajar, já desfruta ou vai desfrutar, das facilidades oferecidas pelo SEM PARAR. Estamos presentes nas praças de pedágio das principais rodovias do Brasil, além de inúmeros estacionamentos em shoppings, nos principais aeroportos de São Paulo e mais. Ou seja, você com certeza já passou pelo Sem Parar no caminho até um dos seus destinos. Clique e veja como funciona https://bit.ly/35tVkbP


No comments: