Monday, April 1, 2024

WORLD TRIATHLON Vetle Thorn seizes the Lievin field by storm


 

It was not an easy day in the office for Vettle Bergsvik Thorn (NOR) in Lievin, but the Norwegian managed to overcome a complicated Heat (in which he did one extra lap on the bike), made it through the semi finals and then stormed the field in the Final, winning by just a few inches the local hero, Vincent Luis (FRA). Another Norwegian, Casper Stornes, found a last push in the last meters to claim bronze on the first World Cup medal for him in two years.

The World Triathlon Indoor Cup Lievin proved to be one for the records for Team Norway, with Vetle Thorn claiming his maiden World Cup title in a thrilling display while Casper Stornes clinched bronze, marking his first-ever podium finish in a World Cup event.

The Heats brought unexpected surprises, notably with Hugo Milner of Great Britain, known for his impressive run in Quarteira last week, failing to advance to the semi-finals after finishing fifth in both his Heat and the repechage.

In the semi-finals, the tension continued to mount as athletes fought tooth and nail for a coveted spot in the final. Tim Hellwig (GER), Samuel Dickinson (GBR), Gregor Payet (LUX), and Genis Grau (ESP) advanced from the first semi-final, while Aurelien Jen (FRA) thrilled the local fans by winning the second semi-final, alongside Casper Stornes, Antoine Duval (FRA), and Mitch Kolkman (NED). The last semi-final saw a thrilling sprint to the finish, with Vetle Thorn, Vincent Luis, Leo Fernandez (FRA), and Csongor Lehmann (HUN) booking their spots in the Final.

The stage was set for an electrifying showdown in the final, with Thorn and Kolkman leading out of the water before the field regrouped on the bike. With the pack riding together for 15 intense laps, tactics and strategy came into play as athletes jostled for position. In a daring move as soon as out of the second transition, Leo Fernandez surged ahead, followed closely by Thorn, Lehmann, and Luis, with Stornes biding his time at the back.

With the finish line in sight, Thorn and Stornes unleashed a burst of speed, attempting to break away from the chasing pack. However, Luis showcased his experience, finding an extra gear to surge past his rivals and secure second place. Thorn’s relentless pace proved insurmountable as he crossed the finish line to claim a historic victory, with Luis settling for silver and Stornes narrowly edging out Lehmann and Hellwig to snatch bronze.

“It was a long day for me, tough from the get-go. I did an extra lap on the bike in the first heat and really had to push the run to get through to the Semis, couldn’t really go much worse than it did to keep that fourth place in the end. Semis was a bit easier, where I could be with the front guys from the get-go. We were five guys together and I knew to be safe I had to put a little bit of effort for the sprint, all the way to the finish. Onto the Final, you’re tired after two really hard races. Nobody knows what they have to come with to the Finals, just to be at the front and pushing and going for the win at the end, it feels amazing. What a venue to do it at, I think it might have been the craziest crowd at a race I have ever been to. It’s amazing here”, said Thorn.

“It’s been a while (since my last World Cup podium), it was also a while since the last Continental Cup so 2nd was really good last week. This week I feel a bit more like myself, I was really in contention until literally the last couple of metres, I am happy with the result. It’s been a really long time since I worked a World Cup, I think it was 2019 in Banjoles. That was a long time without racing or a podium but I am happy to be back”, explained Luis, who has just returned to competition after an injury. “It’s crazy, everyone that’s raced here will have really good memories. The final felt like I was during the Olympic stadium. It was really great. The people in the north of France, they welcome you warmly and I am happy to be back here. It will definitely be the last time I will race here, that was a good way to say farewell to the crowd. Thanks again to the club and to the team at Lievin for organising this event.”

Stornes said: “It feels amazing. It’s been a rollercoaster these last few years. I am really over the moon to come here and get third place. It’s a bit mixed feelings as I don’t really know if I will get to the Olympics.(In the Semi-Finals) I was saving myself on the bike and on the last bit of the run. I was just hoping the other guys were a bit more tired than me so I could get that advantage, for a longer type of endurance guy but I am glad I could take a podium here,” he said.

Results: Final Men

1.         Vetle Bergsvik Thorn            NOR   00:09:24

2.         Vincent Luis   FRA    00:09:25

3.         Casper Stornes          NOR   00:09:26

4.         Csongor Lehmann     HUN   00:09:26

5.         Tim Hellwig    GER    00:09:26

No comments: