Saturday, June 3, 2023

Spain shines at home winning three gold and one silver on Day 1 of the Artistic Swimming Super Final


 

today in the historic capital city of Asturias in northern Spain, Oviedo. The Spanish supporters filled the stands at the Piscinas Parque del Oeste, and celebrated from start to finish, as they witnessed the Spanish athletes win three of the four events on the program

Gold medals were won by Soloist Fernando Diaz del Rio Soto, Mixed Duet Emma Garcia and Dennis Gonzalez Boneu, and the Technical Team, while Soloist Iris Tio Casa brought Spain their fourth medal on the first day, a silver.

 

SOLO TECHNICAL WOMEN

Japan’s Yukiko Inui, leading the Solo events scoreboard this Artistic Swimming World Cup series, continued dominating with another spectacular performance of her solo “The life of a droplet”. Inui, who started the competition with the highest declared degree of difficulty, 31.55, perfectly executed the required elements and very difficult hybrids for which she was awarded 268.4217 total points and the gold medal.

The reigning World Champion Inui expressed her happiness with today’s performance and that she is looking forward to making her goal, to be on the podium in every event this July in Fukuoka, a reality:

“I’m just so happy with how I performed. I did each part exactly how I’d planned, especially the hybrids. Now, I’m very much looking forward to Fukuoka and competing there.”

In a very close race between Spain’s Iris Tio Casa and Canada’s Audrey Lamothe, it was Tio Casa who claimed the silver medal with 239.9299 points, less then half a point ahead of Lamothe.  Interestingly, Tio Casa’s choreography “Fire” swum to Mahler’s Symphonie Number 1 “Titan” increased in declared degree of difficulty compared to Somabay, 31.35 compared to 26.85. However, Tio Casa’s execution of the higher degree of difficulty did not improve the 262.9333 points she received in Somabay.

Swimming in front of her home crowd, Tio Casa’s said “It was very special to compete here. You could feel the warmth from the crowd. This gave me a great energy to perform”. “Having the opportunity to compete here before the world championships is ideal. I’ll keep the same routine for Fukuoka, but maybe I will do it better,” Tio Casa added.

Receiving the bronze medal for her performance of “Love Story”, Lamothe showed a steady increase throughout this 2023 World Cup series in her degree of difficulty and final scores of the routine, 21.3 and 196.2833 in Markham, 23.70 and 219.7250 in Montpellier, and 28.2 and 239.5017 today in Oviedo.

Expressing her excitement about making her debut at a Super Final, the eighteen-year-old Lamothe said: “I’m super excited to qualify and compete at my first Super Final. Making it here was for sure one of my goals for the year. I think this medal is just a result of all the work and all my effort from the past years coming together. I really think this came down to every day getting the maximum I can out of myself, getting better day by day.”

 

SOLO TECHNICAL MEN

During the 2023 World Cup season, Spain, with participation of Fernando Diaz del Rio Soto and Dennis Gonzalez Boneu, made it onto the podium in each of the male Solo events contested.

In the Technical event, reigning Super Final Champion Diaz del Rio Soto had the honor to represent Spain, swimming to “Unholy” by Sam Smith and Kim Petras.

Scoring his highest difficulty and total score to date, 26.05 and 224.8233 respectively, Diaz del Rio Soto made the most of the opportunity climbing to the top of the podium for the gold medal.

After the win, Diaz shared that the support from the Spanish crowd in Oviedo added to his best performance to date: “Ah, I think that’s my best-ever score for execution. I don’t know what to say, I think competing at home helped me out a lot. I felt the crowd with me. This gave me some extra energy, some extra motivation and focus. I felt very powerful, too. All the people that came out to watch today’s competition, I really appreciated it.”

Diaz del Rio Soto on Fukuoka: “I’m very satisfied with my performance; I felt excellent in the water. I definitely felt the nerves competing today, but I was able to handle this very well. I think I’m progressing very well to Fukuoka. I’ll be ready for a great routine at the world championships.”

Both the silver medalist, Kazakhstan’s Eduard Kim and the bronze medalist, Colombian Gustavo Sanchez, were unable to execute the declared difficulty of their last hybrid, losing points on their difficulty score. However, Kim’s “S.O.S. d'un terrien en détresse” performed to music by Kazakhstani singer Dimash was powerful and expressive, earning him an impressive 92.9 for artistic impression, moving him into second place with a total of 200.6000 points. Claiming the final step on the podium at his first Super Final, Sanchez scored 198.1767 points for “The End of the World” on music from “Avengers”. Sanchez commented on the changes in the difficulty of the routine that will need attention prior to Fukuoka:

“Really, I was so, so nervous. I had so many feelings competing today. It’s my first Super Final and we’ve made so many changes to my routine in such a short period of time. I had some penalties, but it’s okay. To get where I want to go at the world championships, I needed to heighten the difficulty of my routine. We think for the world championships this change to my routine will play out well. Now, I need to train more and become more comfortable with the new, tougher routine.”

 

MIXED DUET TECHNICAL

Dennis Gonzalez  Boneu and Emma Garcia won Spain’s second gold medal for their choreography swum to classic electronic music by Dark Moor named “Vivaldi’s Winter”.  While this is the pair’s first time competing together this season, their performance showed experience, ability, and great synchronization. The pair scored 237.6534 points to secure the top of the podium.  Garcia, last year’s Super Final Champion in both the Mixed Duets events, provided an insight on the success of their swim, “Dennis and I, we’re really calm persons. We train a lot and we’re focused on how to behave in a quiet readiness for these moments. We’re not ones to let all these expectations be the wrong energy for us.”

Gonzalez Bonue, who broke his foot earlier this season, said “I’m just so happy to be back competing after breaking my foot earlier this year. I’ve missed the two previous World Cups, and I’ve just been waiting to get back to competing again. I’m excited about this.”

Garcia on what is next: “We’re trying to feel more secure. We’re feeling more and more confident throughout this year. We’re excited to improve a little bit more at next month’s European Championships and carry this momentum into the World Championships.”

Colombians Gustavo Sanchez and Jennifer Cerquera Hatiusca received a personal best score, 222.2617 points, for their routine “The Mystery of the Ocean” swum to the song “Golden Fists” by Brand X Music. Their difficulty score matched that of the Spaniards, but several timing errors and their execution resulted in the silver medal.  

The bronze medal with 215.6050 points went to the pair representing Kazakhstan, Nargiza Bolatova and Eduard Kim. The pair’s choreography swum to music from the animated musical Corpse Bride showcased great music interpretation and a high starting difficulty, which they were able to execute until the final hybrid.

 

MIXED TEAM TECHNICAL

With the absence of the Top three ranked countries from the World Cup series, Japan, USA, and Italy, the path to the medals was wide open for the six countries competing in Oviedo. Spectator’s favourite Spain, was the final participant, adding to the excitement when the scores were finally revealed.

The routine “Japanese Flamenco”, which started with a very risky acrobatic move which they executed perfectly, showcased very precise pattern changes and great interpretation of the music throughout. The Spaniards received their highest difficulty score yet, 36.90, for a total of 278.2350 points and the gold medal.

According to Paula Ramirez Ibanez the team will continue refining and increasing the difficulty en route to Fukuoka, “Since our last World Cup in Montpellier, France we’ve added much more difficulty to our routine. It’s always a risk, but we knew what we wanted to change. We’re really proud of what we were able to display tonight with our new routine.

"At the World Championships, we’ll look to refine our elements and keep increasing our difficulty. So, we’ll keep moving. I think in artistic swimming it's impossible to keep with the same choreography until the end. We are always trying to improve this part of our routine, make it better and add more artistry and difficulty into our performance. No, we’ll keep changing and keep pushing for more difficulty.”

While Ukraine’s performance of the choreography titled “Unbreakable Faith and Hope” scored higher in artistic impression than the Spanish team, the difficulty and execution of the hybrids and required technical elements in the Ukrainian routine resulted in 264.6566 points for the silver medal.

The French team scored 243.1057 points for "Trip to Space." With a starting degree of difficulty of 35.75, second only to Spain, the failure to execute the last hybrid in the routine, resulted in a base mark. Fortunately for the French, the scores received for artistic impression and the other required elements were high enough to claim the bronze medal.

 

WHAT'S UP NEXT?

The live results will be available on the World Aquatics website for this weekend’s competition in Oviedo, Spain:

Saturday, June 3

11:00 Women and Men Solo Free

16:30 Women Duet Technical

19:00 Mixed Team Free

Sunday, June 4

11:00 Women Duet Free and Mixed Duet Free

17:00 Acrobatic

Written by Maureen Croes, World Aquatics correspondent

Image Source: Juan Manuel Serrano Arce/Getty Images

No comments: