Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Torri Huske Takes Back-to-Back Wins to Close TYR Pro Swim Series Mission Viejo


 

by USA Swimming

World Champion and National Team member Torri Huske (Arlington, Va./Alto Swim Club) won back-to-back events in just over 10 minutes – the 100m butterfly and 200m individual medley – to close the four-day competition at the Marguerite Aquatics Complex in Mission Viejo, California.

“It was really fun,” Huske said. “I was really excited to swim the 100 fly since that’s my favorite event. And the 200 IM is also one of my favorites. It’s a little rough in season, but I was actually really happy with the result. And the 50 – I just gave it all I got.”

Huske started off her night of three finals swims with a win in the 100m butterfly in a time of 56.84. Claire Curzan (Cary, N.C./Alto Swim Club) finished second in 57.26 and Kelly Pash (Carmel, Ind./Longhorn Aquatics) finished third in 57.89. After the men’s event, Huske was back in the pool to take her second win in the 200m individual medley in a time of 2:11.88.

Bella Sims (Las Vegas, Nev./Sandpipers of Nevada) kicked off the night by picking up her third win of this TYR Pro Swim Series in the 800m freestyle in a time of 8:29.85. Kayla Han (La Mirada, Calif./La Mirada Armada) finished second in a time of 8:32.88, the No. 7 time in the 13-14 age group this year. Wednesday’s 1500m freestyle champion Jillian Cox (Cedar Park, Texas/Longhorn Aquatics) finished third in 8:33.36.

“I’m tired,” Sims said. “That was good for me. I didn’t really die out or anything and wanted to keep my legs consistent. I wanted to go out fast and try to hold it. I think I did that pretty well.”

Curzan picked up her third win of this TYR Pro Swim Series in the 100m backstroke in a time of 59.00. 50m backstroke champion Isabelle Stadden (Blaine, Minn./California Aquatics) was second in 59.56 and Olivia Smoliga (Glenview, Ill./Sun Devil Swimming) was third in 1:00.01.

“I’m feeling super excited,” Curzan said of her three finals this evening, including the 100m butterfly and 50m freestyle. “I think it was a really fun session and a great way to end the meet with a 50. I just had a blast and I’m just really happy with this meet.”

Hunter Armstrong (Dover, Ohio/New York Athletic Club/California Aquatics) completed his TYR Pro Swim Series sweep of the 100m backstroke at all four stops with a time of 52.82. Ryan Murphy (Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla./California Aquatics) finished second in a time of 53.36 and Justin Ress (Cary, N.C./Mission Viejo Nadadores) in a time of 53.77.

“I’m feeling pretty good,” Armstrong said. “Every meet we’ve stepped up the training. I’m really happy I was able to repeat and stay undefeated so far.”

Lilly King (Evansville, Ind./Indiana Swim Club) picked up her third win in the 200m breaststroke across all of the TYR Pro Swim Series this year and her third win overall at this meet with her time of 2:25.34.

“It was a little tiring but not too bad considering,” King said. “I don’t want to make excuses but there are outdoor conditions we can’t control today. It’s a little cold and a little slow so it’s all good for where I am right now in the season.”

Jake Foster (Cincinnati, Ohio/Mason Manta Rays) kept Nic Fink (Morristown, N.J./Metro Atlantic Aquatic Club) from sweeping the men’s breaststroke events at this TYR Pro Swim Series in Mission Viejo with his win in the 200m breaststroke. He won the event in a time of 2:11.58. Fink was second in a time of 2:11.72 followed by Brandon Fischer (Palo Alto, Calif./Tri-Valley Aquatics) in a time of 2:12.52.

“I feel good,” Foster said. “I’ve had that event circled on my event lineup for the whole week. I think there was definitely room to improve but the way I executed it – five-and-a-half weeks out of (world championships) team trials – I’m really happy with it.”

Dare Rose (Jersey City, N.J./California Aquatics) won the 100m butterfly in a time of 51.47. Trenton Julian (Glendale, Calif./Mission Viejo Nadadores) was third in a time of 52.26.

“I’m tired,” Rose said. “It’s been a long weekend but I’m super excited. I was fourth in the 50, third in the 200 so I was happy to get away with that win.”

Abbey Weitzeil (Santa Clara, Calif./California Aquatics) won the 50m freestyle at all of the TYR Pro Swim Series stops this year, including her victory tonight in 24.59. Simone Manuel (Sugar Land, Texas/Sun Devil Swimming) was third in 25.22.

"The weekend was good, but that swim in particular, I didn’t come out very excited about,” Weitzeil said. “The goal is always to be faster than you were in the morning so thinking about what happened and looking back on my race, I was rushing it a bit. There’s a lot more to improve on. I’m excited about the next five-ish weeks, starting to settle in. I’m pretty excited about my swims and to know that there are more coming. My 50 was faster in Fort Lauderdale but just by a little bit.”

Up next on the competition calendar are the 2023 Phillips 66 National Championships, June 27-July 1, at the Indiana University Natatorium, in Indianapolis, Indiana. Meet information lives here. Tickets can be purchased here.

Keep up with all the latest USA Swimming news by following @usaswimming on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Check out our News Notebook which details programs, athletes and clubs that have made the headlines.

No comments: