Saturday, November 5, 2022

Five triple crown winners capped; Kasia Wasick scares the 50m freestyle world record in Indianapolis


 

Written by:Andy Ross, FINA Correspondent

Eleven athletes were on pace to win the World Cup triple crown across 21 events - touching first in the same race in three different cities at the 2022 Swimming World Cup. On Thursday on the first day of the final stop in Indianapolis, five athletes achieved the hat trick, while two were dethroned.

Poland’s Kasia Wasick had perhaps the best swim of the entire day in Indianapolis, winning the 50m freestyle final with a 23.10. It was her third win in three weeks, and it was also a lifetime best, putting her third on the all-time list behind only Ranomi Kromowidjojo (22.93) and Sarah Sjostrom (23.00).

“I am very happy,” Wasick said. “I surprised myself today when I looked at the clock and said ‘whew’. My family is here watching tonight. It was a lot of fun.  I swam at the world cups for the first time in my career. I would like to come back and race in the world cup series again.

Wasick, who is based in the United States in Las Vegas, has been getting faster each week, improving her Polish record each week.

“I didn't expect I'd go that fast,” Wasick said. "I wish I could compete next weekend and another week and just keep getting faster and faster. We still have World Champs and I hope I will be the fastest over there.” 

She had initially retired from the sport in 2018, but returned with the dream of qualifying for her fourth Olympics in Tokyo. Since then, she has been swimming faster than ever, placing fifth in the Tokyo final in the 50m freestyle, and winning World Championships silver in June of this year.

“I am just really blessed to be here. Every time I get a chance to step on the blocks I am really happy and excited to get the chance, but also my family...when I see them in the stands, I always go fast,” Wasick said.

Another one who nearly broke a world record was American Katie Ledecky in the 400m freestyle. She was out under Li Bingjie’s world record pace for 250 meters, before falling off on the last six lengths of the pool, touching at 3:54.04. It was the sixth fastest time ever swum in the event, as Ledecky won handily over fellow American Bella Sims (3:58.85).

“It's really fun to swim at this pool and to be in Indianapolis,” Ledecky said. “I love this pool and this crowd. I really hope to have a great weekend. It's a different challenge getting used to the turns but it’s been fun.”

Ledecky’s attention turns to the 800m freestyle tomorrow where many will be expecting to watch her break the world record that stands at 7:59.34 to Spain’s Mireia Belmonte that has stood since 2013. Ledecky went out in an 8:00.58 en route to her world record in the 1500m freestyle last week.

American Shaine Casas was the first men’s triple crown winner, taking the 200m backstroke final with a 1:48.40, which was a best time to put him 11th on the all-time list. Later on in the session, Casas won the 100m IM with a 51.04. It wasn’t a best time (he was 51.03 in Toronto), nor was it a triple crown event for him, but his two victories on Thursday night put him first overall in the men’s World Cup standings with two days to go.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty tired,” Casas said after his second swim on the night in the 100m IM. “I don't feel fresh like I did in the other World Cup events. I would have liked to swim faster but you can't always get what you want. I have a bad problem of looking around too much and I need to stop that. I took one or two breaths and just put my head down.”

This was a good set-up for Casas, who was on the outside looking in for the overall title. His two wins put him in the lead as he is in the driver’s seat to take home the overall title as Saturday might be his best day with the event line-up.

Casas has 145.6 points, while fellow American Nic Fink currently sits second with 134 points, as he collected an official triple crown in the 100m breaststroke, winning at 56.15. He has been faster in his career, but this swim gave him that third win as he hasn’t lost a breaststroke final yet during this circuit.

“I am happy to earn the crown,” Fink said. “Even if you think you are ahead in the last lap you have to be prepared for someone else. I am also happy that I was able to save my best for last. I hope that this is a good indicator of my next two events. I like to race a lot and sometimes we compete more than our coaches want us to.”

Fink was expected to be challenged by Italian World champion Nicolo Martinenghi, but the American held his own in his own country, leading from the outset. Now his attention shifts to the 50m tomorrow, and the 200m on Saturday - two events that he won gold in at last year’s Short Course World Championships. Martinenghi was hardly a factor, placing fourth at 57.39.

Trinidad & Tobago’s Dylan Carter successfully completed his first triple crown attempt with a win in the 50m freestyle at 20.72 over Kyle Chalmers (20.81) of Australia. Carter will next go for hat tricks in the 50m backstroke tomorrow and the 50m butterfly on Saturday as he hasn’t lost a 50m final yet this series.

It was a super close one,” Carter said. “I could see Kyle on my right side. I just had to get my hand on the wall. I really like racing against these guys.  Pressure? No pressure for me, I have ice in my veins.

South Africa’s Chad Le Clos also completed his hat trick - this one in the 100m butterfly as he was hardly challenged during the short race, winning at 48.85. Le Clos, who has won a myriad of World Cup races in his long career, is currently fourth overall in the men’s standings with 129.5 points behind Carter (133.7) in third.

“It’s great to have won the three World Cup titles,” Le Clos said. “I want to give a shout out to my friends and to my family watching back home, especially to my father. I told people in Berlin that I was back in a good place and that I was focused on winning these three events and I am pleased with the result.

“I really love racing in the USA and it's nice to have USA fans. I enjoy racing in Indianapolis. In addition to my training I work to be a positive role model and I appreciate this responsibility as well.”

One that also loves racing in Indianapolis is Lilly King, who has been coming to meets at the IU Natatorium since she was a young age grouper. On Thursday, she won the 200m breaststroke at 2:17.56, and will look to challenge Ruta Meilutyte tomorrow in the 100m as King is hoping to end her triple crown hopes.

“It’s a confidence booster to win on the first day,” King said. “I always swim well in Indy. I really had no idea how I was going to swim. The 100 and the 200 are definitely two different events so it will require a different preparation.”

Two swimmers that already dethroned triple crown hopes were USA’s Kieran Smith in the 400m freestyle, and Beata Nelson in the 100m IM. Smith won the final at 3:35.99, putting him 13th all-time as he finished ahead of Matthew Sates, who was never really a factor in the race and placed fifth at 3:41.02.

Nelson finally got the better of Beryl Gastaldello in the 100m IM final, touching at 57.81 to Gastaldello’s 57.82. Gastaldello had won the first two matchups in Berlin and Toronto but could not find that magic once more as she finished runner-up, just missing that triple crown.

Nelson currently leads the women’s overall standings with 134.9 points ahead of Siobhan Haughey (126.7) and Louise Hansson (124.1).

Canada’s superstar duo of Kylie Masse (50m backstroke) and Summer McIntosh (200m butterfly) also won their respective events in Indianapolis, with Masse claiming the 50m backstroke at 25.96 while McIntosh won the 200m butterfly at 2:03.40.

No comments: