Thursday, August 26, 2021

Ellen Keane win the Paralympic Gold medal for Ireland in the Paralympic Games



After 13 years of hard work and 4 Paralympic Games it was a special day for Ellen Keane as she saw off the challenge of New Zealand Paralympic legend, Sophie Pascoe to win the Paralympic Gold medal for Ireland.

Ellen had set a new personal best time in the heats in the morning but she smashed through that mark again as she clocked a time of 1:19:93 on her way to the top step of the podium.

As it had been in the morning session it was to become a head to head between Ellen and Pascoe, with the Kiwi leading the way at the turn. However, Keane dug deep over the last 50 metres and took the lead holding off a final surge to touch the wall four hundredths of a second ahead of the rival.

“Do you know I’m actually a bit in disbelief cos my goggles filled up with water so I didn’t know where I was, I didn’t know where Sophie was or the other girls beside me, to me it was just sticking to the game plan that me and my coach had, just being long and strong and that’s what I focussed on throughout the race and I just kinda gave it my all the last 25 and to see number one, it wasn’t even the number one that I was most excited about, it was more the time.”

Limerick’s rising swimming star, Róisín Ní Riain, returned to a final for the second day in a row after making her debut yesterday. Róisín showed real courage as she battled back into a brilliant 6th place finish as she set her personal best time in the S13 100m Backstroke, her third Personal Best on her fourth visit to the competition pool.

“I knew if I got my race strategy right, if I got it down a bit better, that I could definitely do it”

Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games Team Ireland Finals Results Day 2

S13 100m Backstroke Final, Róisín Ní Riain, 1:08.61 (PB)

SB8 100m Breaststroke Final, Ellen Keane, 1:19.93 Gold Medal (PB)

Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games Team Ireland Results Day 2

B 1000m Time Trial, Katie George Dunlevy & Eve McCrystal, 10;09.044 (PB & National Record)

S13 100m Backstroke Heat, Róisín Ní Riain, 1:09.23 (PB)

SB8 100m Breaststroke Heat, Ellen Keane, 1:21.71 (PB)

C4 -5 1000m Time Trial, Ronan Grimes, 1:08.262 (PB)

Imagery from the Games will be available FOC via www.sportsfile.com


 

MichaelPhelps Teaches Swimming - Most of us can swim, but there’s a difference between dog paddling on vacation and swimming for fitness. If you’re looking to unlock the low-impact, calorie-burning benefits of swimming, check out this course from Michael Phelps on This Skills. The 26-time Olympic gold medalist will cover everything you need to feel confidant and comfortable swimming laps. You’ll learn all the basic strokes, plus wall kicking, diving and other techniques, but you’ll also get a glimpse into the mindset of the most decorated Olympian of all time. Learn more at https://tinyurl.com/v4nmne8h

No comments: