Tuesday, August 3, 2021

CAELEB DRESSEL “YOU HAVE TO BE SO PERFECT IN THAT MOMENT”



Like at the 2017 and 2019 FINA World Championships, Caeleb Dressel emerged as the best male swimmer of the meet at the Olympic Games as well. In Tokyo, the American finished with five gold medals, won three individual events (50-100m free, 100m fly) and was part of two victorious relays (4x100m free, 4x100m medley), the only event he could not make any miracle was the debuting mixed medley where the US finished 5th.

Dressel was already part of the US team five years ago in Rio de Janeiro, though back then his performance was a modest one in his only individual event, as he came 6th in the 100m free (clocked 48.02 – almost a full second slower than his winning effort here in Tokyo) but he returned home as a two-time Olympic champion as he did the lead-off leg in the free relay and received another gold as he swam in the medley relay in the heats which came first in the final.

 

Dressel's medals

His breakthrough happened in the following year in Budapest where he amassed seven gold medals at the Worlds and repeated that two years later in Gwangju where he added an 8th medal, a silver – the most ever by a swimmer in a single edition – and he also repeated the unique feat of winning three world titles in one day. After those standout performances, despite all the miseries the human mankind went through in the past one and a half years, Dressel was destined to excel in Tokyo. And he delivered. Not only the golds but he was the only male swimmer who broke a World Record in an individual event, when he lowered his own mark in the 100m fly to clock 49.45sec.

On the last day he was still busy but pulled off both events, produced the largest winning margin ever recorded in the 50m free Olympic finals and then his butterfly leg put the US medley relay onto the winning track.

 

“I’ll stop lying to myself”

Looking back to his brilliant Olympic days, he offered these thoughts. “That’s how the sport goes sometimes. I knew I had to execute every race and every heat and that’s how sport goes sometimes. I had a lot of fun, I had a good time yesterday – if I got better each day and to end with that relay – it is really, really special. Just to sit everyone down and put it right in our face and say this is something you can do. To see it on the board (the world record time) is spectacular and really special"

”Despite his fantastic runs at the World Championships, he had to recognise that the Olympics were a lot different meet where even more was required to achieve his golden goals. “I tried to convince myself that the Worlds were the same, and it is the same competition; but it is a lot different here. I’m aware of that now, and I’ll stop lying to myself – it means something different to prepare for something that happens every four years to prepare for something that happens over 40 seconds and 20-something seconds.

“You have to be so perfect in that moment, especially as we had to have an extra year – we’ve had a five-year build-up to be perfect. There is so much pressure in that one moment that your whole life boils down to a moment that takes 20 or 40 seconds. How crazy is that?

“I wouldn’t tell myself during the meet, but it is absolutely terrifying, but it is really fun if you look at from a different perspective – it is something that boils down to a very specific moment of time in the universe and that just happens to be the Olympics.”

 

“It is my goal is to fulfil my potential”

Of course, if one captured five gold medals at a single edition of the Games and leaves Tokyo as a 7-time Olympic champion, he could barely avoid the historical comparisons.

“I think the US has been so dominant for so long, to put my stamp on the sport is very special. Michael (Phelps) and Mark (Spitz)... of course, I don’t want to take away from anything I’ve done here but it is not my goal to beat anyone in particular. It is my goal to fulfil my potential. My goal is not to beat Mark, it is like I’ve already exceeded my expectations here and had a fun time doing it. It was not a perfect meet at all; there was a lot of low points in this meet and mental obstacles, more than those podium finishes. That’s the fun of it. The ups and the downs, and you have to figure out how to roll with it and figure out how to get better.”


 

Michael Phelps Teaches Swimming

Most of us can swim, but there’s a difference between dog paddling on vacation and swimming for fitness. If you’re looking to unlock the low-impact, calorie-burning benefits of swimming, check out this course from Michael Phelps on This Skills. The 26-time Olympic gold medalist will cover everything you need to feel confidant and comfortable swimming laps. You’ll learn all the basic strokes, plus wall kicking, diving and other techniques, but you’ll also get a glimpse into the mindset of the most decorated Olympian of all time. Learn more at https://tinyurl.com/v4nmne8h

No comments: