Monday, June 24, 2024

SWIM IRELAND Brilliant Bronze for Clare Cryan in Belgrade and Tom Fannon Equals Irish Freestyle Record in Rome


 

Clare Cryan stole the show on Friday night at the European Aquatics Championships in Belgrade with a phenomenal display on the 3m Springboard to win Ireland’s first-ever diving medal at a senior European Championships.

The bronze medal is only the third international diving medal across all senior events and the 30-year-old won it in style with a score of 240.55, her best score coming from a back 2 ½ somersaults for 58.80 points.

Speaking after the final, Cryan said: “Honestly, I am lost for words, I didn’t know I was in contention for the medals. Throughout the competition I just kept my head down, I don’t really like to look at the scores or table going through, so I had no idea going into the last dive. It wasn’t my best last dive; it was enough to get the bronze which I’m so happy about.”

Cryan added: “It’s all just so much right now! I’ve been diving for 21 years, I medalled at the 2018 Grand Prix, that was Ireland’s first international diving medal, to have such a long time without standing on the podium and hitting personal bests, it is just amazing.”

Speaking on the support, she added: “The support is absolutely amazing, both my family and Ciara’s (McGing) family have followed us around the world, we are so lucky. It makes all the difference to know that the ones who helped me in the early days, giving me the lifts to the pool, looking after me when I was upset, that they could be here today was amazing.”

Back at the Sports Centre Milan Gale Muskatirovic Conor Ferguson returned to the pool posting his second fastest time ever (24.87) in the 50m Backstroke Final. Ferguson placed sixth following a number of fine performances dropping time in each round.

The Loughborough swimmer spoke after his race “It’s a really good time, it’s faster than expected and I’ve progressed through the rounds which is really good for me, it’s one thing I wanted to do. Competing with these guys is always a goal for me, it was stacked today. Heading into tomorrow (100m Backstroke) I’m not really putting pressure on performance, I’m looking forward to it.”

Ellie McCartney was the first Irish swimmer in the pool on Friday evening competing in the 200m Breaststroke Final, her first in the senior ranks. McCartney headed into the swim brimming with confidence following a massive personal best in the Semi-Final of 2:26.76. The National Centre (Limerick) swimmer finished eighth in 2:28.68.

A short time later, the 19-year-old was back on the blocks to compete in the 200m Individual Medley Semi-Final, the Enniskillen native clocked 2:14.37 to qualify for another Final in eighth place. Belgrade has been a happy hunting ground for McCartney, in 2023 she won a European junior bronze in the same event and venue, tonight she will look forward to her second European senior final in consecutive days.

Speaking in the mixed zone, McCartney said: “Coming into this gala I really wanted to make a semi-final in the 200 breast, to make the final has made my day. I really swam out of my skin last night, so I’ve got my head held high. This is what we train for, we come to these big competitions to drop time like that and I’m happy to be able to do it on the occasion, it’s a privilege to make it to the final.”

She added: “I was excited I wanted to get in and race, I think I was the youngest in the final, I think that’s promising coming out of Juniors, it’s exciting.”

With a European gold in her back pocket from last night, Danielle Hill took centre stage once again this evening. It was business as usual for Hill, coming through the 100m Backstroke as second fastest qualifier in a time of 1:00.52. Hill, who currently holds the Irish Senior Record in this event at 59.11 will have another shot at medals in her last race before the Olympic Games on Saturday.

Hill said: “I’m happy, it’s been a really long day, I said that I got some sleep last night but unfortunately, I didn’t get much sleep in between session. Listen, it’s working my way through the rounds, there was a few new processes in the warm-up, so it’s just about ironing stuff out. I’m looking forward to tomorrow.”

Joining Hill tomorrow night will be Lottie Cullen, who continued to shine in Belgrade with a stunning performance in her 100m Backstroke Semi-Final. Cullen moved through the rounds yet again, this time in 1:01.19, to book her place in her first-ever international final.

Speaking after tonight’s race, Cullen said: “I feel really good, it was only .2 off my best time which I am really happy with. I was a bit nervous going in tonight because I wanted to have a good swim but I’m happy to come out and be in the final tomorrow night. It’s really exciting, I am just going to have fun with it, not put too much pressure on and enjoy the moment.”

Jack Cassin returned the pool for the 200 Butterfly Semi-Finals; Cassin clocked his second personal best of the day in 1:58.89 to close out his European campaign in 13th.

Cassin said: “It’s my first-time sub 1:59, so I couldn’t be happier. It’s been a long competition and off the back of Trials, I feel so fortunate to gain the experience to race against some of the best in the world and to come 13th.”

He added: “I’m just so happy, I think everyone wants to put their best foot forward, everyone is in such a good mood, and I think especially me, I couldn’t do it without the support system around me. It’s been amazing, I didn’t really expect that I would make a semi-final so I’m really happy with that and to see Danielle win in the 50 back was such a spectacular thing to watch.”

The penultimate morning of racing will see Shane Ryan, Oisin Tebite and Calum Bain race in the 50m Freestyle, Conor Ferguson in the 100m Backstroke, while Niamh Coyne will feature in the 50m Breaststroke. Saturday evening’s session will see final appearances for Danielle Hill and Lottie Cullen (100m Backstroke), Ellie McCartney (200m Individual Medley) and Nathan Wiffen (800m Freestyle).

Fannon Equals Irish Freestyle Record in Rome

Tom Fannon had the standout performance on the opening night of Finals at the Sette Colli International Meet in Rome on Friday evening.

Fannon, who set a new Irish Record to qualify for the Paris Games in the 50m Freestyle at the Irish Open and Olympic Trials in May, equalled that time to win the B Final in 21.94.

The National Centre Dublin swimmer spoke after the race ‘It’s mixed emotions, I’m happy obviously with a 21 point in season, but also, would have liked to have gone faster, even 0.01 under the record would have been nice, but to go 21.9 in season, just off the plane, two key sets, two lifts this week, I’ll take it’

Fannon will take confidence from the swim as he continues his preparations towards Paris ‘Last season I’d be going 23 in hard training, now it’s 21.9, looking good for the Games, it’s just about getting that first swim, there was a few mistakes this morning, so at the Games it’s about getting that first swim good, less mistakes, and then if I can do that in the morning, or hopefully faster, there’s a semi-final and final, hopefully progress through the rounds. I’m happy’

Daniel Wiffen, Darragh Greene and Mx McCusker all finished eighth in their A Finals. Wiffen clocked 3:51.64 in the 400m Freestyle, Greene 1:00.73 in the 100m Breaststroke and McCusker 52.62 in the 100m Butterfly. Both Greene and McCusker competed at the European Aquatics Championships earlier this week.

Day two heats in Rome will see Ellen Walshe do a double of the 100m Butterfly and 400m Individual Medley. Erin Riordan, Victoria Catterson and Fannon compete in the 100m Freestyle and Greene returns for the 50m Breaststroke. Daniel Wiffen will swim in the fastest heat of the 800m Freestyle which will take place in the evening session.

No comments: