Saturday, October 29, 2022

FINA Swimming World Cup 2022 Day 1 of the Toronto Aquatics Party Toronto, Canada


 

Summer McIntosh out-races Katie Ledecky to set new World Junior Record; Flickinger takes overall World Cup lead

It had been nearly 16 years since the last time the FINA Swimming World Cup was in North America, and with the circuit returning to Toronto, Canada this weekend, the athletes from Canada and the United States utilized the short travel to get up and race short course meters.

And the Canadians came to race.

Rising superstar Summer McIntosh, who now may be able to take away the “rising” part in her title, wasn’t born yet the last time the World Cup was in North America, but she perhaps had the best swim of the day in the 400m freestyle Friday with a 3:52.80 for the second best time of all-time.

 

McIntosh, who took the race out hard with American Katie Ledecky, considered by many to be the greatest to ever do it, swam the second best time of the week after Li Bingjie set the world record in China with a 3:51 just yesterday. McIntosh out-touched Ledecky on the final 25 as the 2016 Olympic champion improved her own best time with a 3:52.88.

“I’m a little bit in shock right now,” McIntosh said of her swim. “I wasn’t sure how I was going to do tonight. I was really happy with my morning swim. I’m really happy with that and would never imagine I’d get that time.”

The time is a new world cup and world junior record for McIntosh.

“I didn’t really have any time in mind that I thought I could go, but that’s definitely not what I would've thought if you had asked me,” the Canadian said.

Ledecky, who doesn’t race short course meters often, moved up to third all-time as all three of those swims came in a matter of 48 hours on two different continents.

“I didn’t know what to expect from this meet,” Ledecky said. “I don’t really have a good sense of what good short course times are for me right now. So, I’m just trying to not put limits on myself and just go for it.

“I wanted to just get some racing in. I really feel like I’m just trying to hit my rhythm in training so It’s nice to just break up training right now and get a couple of races in.”

 

McIntosh gave something the Canadian crowd could cheer about on Friday evening in Toronto, not far from where she grew up.

There’s nothing like it; the energy from the crowd and knowing that all these people are cheering us all on,

By Summer Mcintosh

“I’ve never had a meet like this in my hometown. I live like 30 minutes away from here and all my friends and family are in the stands.”

 

Canada’s lone Olympic swimming gold medalist from 2021, Maggie Mac Neil, won the 50m backstroke for Canada’s second win on the night with a 25.96 as she led a 1-2-3 finish with teammates Kylie Masse (26.02) and Ingrid Wilm (26.18). Mac Neil and Masse used to train together in this very pool in Toronto, and expressed their comfort in swimming such a high quality meet at home.

It feels amazing,” Masse said. “Not many people get to experience this in a home pool for us, in a pool that I get to train in all the time. To have family in the stands and to see so many familiar faces between officials, who I’ve known since growing up in club swimming. It's really special to be here and to see everyone proud and support the Canadians and the rest of the world as well.”

 

The Veterans Showed Out

This is the second stop of the Swimming World Cup, with many swimmers coming over from Berlin last week, while many will continue on to Indianapolis next week. Those that are able to move from each city to each heat to each race, and manage their energy the best, are the ones that will see success in the Swimming World Cup, and we saw those come out on top on Friday.

Poland’s Kasia Wasick repeated her 50m freestyle win from Berlin with a new national record of 23.27 in Toronto as she is now tied for fifth all-time in the event, inching closer and closer to Ranomi Kromowidjojo’s 22.93 world record. Wasick will be going for a clean sweep of the 50m freestyle next week in Indianapolis, and eventually in December at the World Short Course Championships in Melbourne, as she is swimming faster than ever at age 30.

“I am really excited for the World Championships (in December),” Wasick said. “I didn’t expect to start the season this strong so that makes me happy. I just want to keep working hard because this is not the end. So I’m going to put my head down and train.”

 

The current overall World Cup leader, Matthew Sates of South Africa, won the 400m freestyle with a 3:37.52 to repeat his win from Berlin as he currently has 92 points while American Shaine Casas, who won two events in Toronto to close the gap on Friday, has 87 points.

Casas’s wins in the 200m backstroke (1:48.99) and 100m IM (51.03) brought him back in the mix for the overall title as his 100m IM put him tenth on the all-time list. The 200 back for Casas was a faster time than in Berlin

“Yeah of course, that was the goal,” Casas said of his season best. “You want to get faster every meet so I’m glad I’m going in the right direction. Honestly, the morning swim, I was confused as I felt terrible and it hurt a lot, so that was interesting. But the only thing that matters is my time.”

 

The women’s overall World Cup leader is now American Hali Flickinger, despite the fact she was second in the 200m butterfly to fellow American Kelly Pash (2:03.61).

Flickinger swam 2:04.00 to nearly run down Pash on the final 25, and was also fourth in the 400m freestyle.

Flickinger currently has 78.2 points ahead of Louise Hansson (76.3) and Beata Nelson (74.5).

However, neither Hansson nor Nelson won the 100m IM final where they both competed, as France’s Beryl Gastaldello won that event for the second straight World Cup. Gastaldello used the unique combination of speed and versatility to swim a 57.97 on the outside while Nelson (58.06) placed second and Hansson (58.31) took third.

It was a good swim for Gastaldello considering she wasn’t feeling her best.

“To be honest, it’s really mental. I don’t really feel fresh. I had a Thai massage, which I’ve never had before, and it destroyed me. It’s more about bringing that confidence in even if it's not there. Even if I doubt myself, using my toolbox that I’ve built over the years. And I would always tell myself I’m here because I love swimming. I love racing and competing. So I’m going to step up and it's what I do.

Veteran swimmers Chad Le Clos (100m butterfly), Nic Fink (100m breaststroke), and Dylan Carter (50m freestyle) each successfully repeated their wins from Berlin to put themselves in contention for a hat trick next week when we get to Indianapolis.

Le Clos’s time was perhaps the most impressive as he went 48.88 in the 100m butterfly, while Fink recorded a 56.39 to win the 100m breaststroke, and Carter swam a 20.91 to win the 50m freestyle.

American Lilly King, who won the 200m breaststroke World Championsihps title this summer, won that same event on Friday with a 2:18.43 over Canada’s Sydney Pickrem (2:19.71).

No comments: